my boys

my boys

Sunday, June 29, 2014

Des Moines, IA

Have you ever seen The Goofy Movie? Remember the part of the movie where Max erases the map and changes the direction, so he can go where he wanted to instead of where his dad planned? Well I am MAX haha. Matt was def wanting to kill me, but I kept changing the map, to get where I wanted to go. The typical route from NC to WY probably doesn't include a stop in IL.  But, one of my best friends moved back there a year or so ago, and we HAD to stop along the way.  So we stopped in Elmwood, IL for lunch with Leslie and her kiddos.






My oldest and her youngest have been friends since they were babies. It's crazy to see the 10 year olds they have become. And this little girl I met when she was maybe 6-ish (can't remember exactly) has grown into this young lady (feeling old here). So grateful for the chance to stop and see them, Ive missed them like crazy. 

Then we hopped back on the road to Des Moines. It was another FULL day of driving. We finally reached our campground Cherry Glen Campground.  The campground was BEAUTIFUL! I was shocked it was only $20 for the night, a serious steal. 




I may of happen to strategically plan this stop so it was near Ames, IA. Growing up we lived in Ames for 3 years while my dad taught at Iowa State. So after arriving we checked out the campground and then loaded up to go see mommy's old house. 
Matt thought it was getting weird when I wanted a picture, so we quickly left. 6 am came very early every morning, but we wanted to get as much driving out of the way while the boys slept. So we were back up again at 6 and on our way to Mount Rushmore (another one of my "out of the way" stops :)).

Here are some extra pictures we took along the way between Kentucky and Iowa.










No comments:

Post a Comment