my boys

my boys

Sunday, June 1, 2014

Avoidance = Canning

 I would say my coping mechanism of choice would definitely be avoidance. I honestly do some of my best work/coolest projects, while avoiding doing something else. I can remember during nursing school cleaning my house the best, while avoiding studying for a big test. Or me and my bestie trying out new recipes while "studying".  So its only fitting that while I should be cleaning out this house, I have learned to can.

Earlier this week, my first attempt was homemade Spaghetti Sauce. Which honestly wasn't too hard. I followed the recipe here.  Here is what my process looked like.


A couple things I learned from this first time. 1st- I imagine canning is much easier without a 20 month old screaming at your feet to be held. So nap time would be a much better time to try this. (Already failed at this with attempt 2, and paid for it!). 2nd- taste your product! Through this canning/cooking process, I kept thinking I need to wait and taste at the end, and then forgot. So I really hope it turned out good. I ended up with 11 Jars of (no sugar added) Spaghetti Sauce. 

I just finished up my Blueberry-Strawberry Jam. I used the recipe found here

The boys and I went blueberry picking at our local organic blueberry farm this week and got A LOT of berries.  If you haven't been, it's a MUST. My kids had a ball, and even Trenton picked a ton of berries. The owner is the nicest guy, and has even spent time showing Brayden how to work the sorting machines. I used strawberries I bought from a local strawberry field, and had put up in the freezer earlier this month. 


And here is my finished product! I ended up with 5 jars of Blueberry-Strawberry Jam. One of my favorite things about the internet/blogs is that you can learn to do anything. Growing up I can remember always having jam and fruit that my Grandma canned for us. Although I never got the chance to have her teach me how (she lived across the country, and passed away a few years ago),  I was able to learn through blogs and a few tips from some friends at work that can. 



It was tasted this time, and kid approved. In fact Brayden immediately wanted a PB&J sandwich made with it. 


So now that I have stalled enough for the day, I am going to put this crazy kiddo down for a nap, and get to the real work. 

PS. A big THANK YOU to my friend Cathy, for letting me borrow her canning supplies. I hope you enjoy your spaghetti sauce and jam (her payment for rent ;)). 




No comments:

Post a Comment