my boys

my boys

Thursday, August 21, 2014

To homeschool or not to homeschool....

Let me start by saying, I have never had a problem with the education my kids were getting in public, regular school. We choose to homeschool this year out of convenience for our family's new changes. If you would of asked me a year or two ago if I was going to homeschool, I would of probably had some kind of response that equaled.... ummm NO! My kids have had amazing teachers and have done pretty great in school.

last year 2013-2014  K & 4th 



So with traveling and moving frequently it made sense for us to homeschool, and therefore not pull the boys in and out of schools frequently. We started a several weeks ago, and I was prepared for it to be a challenge. Going into this I was thinking Trenton (the 2 year old) would be my biggest challenge. He is one of those into everything, kind of kids. So trying to teach them and keep up with him, without him causing constant distraction, all while in a 38 foot camper would be a challenge. My plan for combatting this would be one- utilizing nap time, and second- doing school at parks and other places outside. Nap time school has worked well for Brayden. He is able to get his school work done quickly and pretty much finish in that amount of time. For Matthew, he requires more time and help with 5th grade work that we are unable to get it done during nap time. As for the park,  have a mentioned Wyoming is WINDY. When I say windy I don't mean a breeze blowing by, I mean like wind throwing your stuff across the yard, or blowing out your propane grill multiple times, while you are trying to cook dinner. (more on that later-sore subject). So the park isn't really an option.  I have also been warned it often snows here in September... yes, September, which is in like a month...AHHHHH. So the thought of not being able to go to the park or get out and about (which we do daily) is kind of terrifying me.  So with the prospect of Matt being able to be here for an extended time and much discussion, we have decided to go ahead and enroll the boys in school here. I am def not giving up on homeschool all together. If our journey leads us to leaving here sooner than expected we will jump right in. But, I would hate to get into the dead of winter here, be stir crazy and then decide to enroll them. The thought of enrolling them in the middle of the year sounds pretty sucky, and I think would put them at a disadvantage.

For the record- homeschooling is tough stuff. It is not easy to be the teacher all day and not be able to be fun mom, doing fun stuff. So I def tip my hat (if I wore one), or applaud the moms and dads out there that do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment